Here's a quick Photoshop CS3 tip to sample colors from applications other than Photoshop:
- With a Photoshop document open, click on the color swatch/color chooser in the tools pallette to open up the color picker.
- Mouse over the Photoshop document so that the eyedropper tool becomes visible.
- Left-click your mouse in the Photoshop document and continue to hold the mouse button down.
- You can now move your mouse outside of the Photoshop document and sample colors from anywhere on your computer screen!
- Release your mouse button when you have found the color you desire.
- The sampled color is now the selected color in your color picker! Be sure to have the "Only Web Colors" checkbox unchecked to allow a wider gamut of colors to be sampled.